Formula 1 Fanatics
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

F1 Chat and other stuff for nice people

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Flightaware Empty  

Flightaware

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Penn
Admin
Penn

Flightaware Empty
PostSubject: Flightaware   Flightaware Icon_minitimeSun Sep 21, 2014 5:35 pm

This is nifty. - www.flightaware.com -

I dug it up just now because i'm currently a nervous dad. We saw off our daughter and her partner from Adelaide a little over 24 hours ago on their 3 and a half weeks holiday in Great Britain and France. I'm a hugely seasoned traveller and a pilot (of gliders) and I've always looked at air travel in all its forms in a 100% logical light.

But I've had a nervy 24 hours... which Is why I dug up Flightaware. I know there are other similar sites but this one is terrific! Pasted (and deformatted) from her flight info is the following:

Kuala Lumpur Int'l (WMKK / KUL)
Terminal M
London Heathrow (EGLL / LHR)
Terminal 4
00:48 MYT
06:49 BST (+1)
Scheduled: 23:40 MYT
7-day average: 23:52 MYT
Scheduled: 05:30 BST (+1)
7-day average: 05:46 BST (+1)
Other flights between these airports
Duration: 13 hours 1 minutes
Sunday, 21 September 2014
Status Arrived at gate 38 minutes ago (track log & graph)
Aircraft Airbus A380-800 (quad-jet) (A388 – photos)
Speed Filed: 447 kts (graph)
Distance Direct: 10,617 km Planned: 10,615 km Flown: 13,695 km

How good's that!? I wonder why they flew an extra 3,000 kilometres?

Back to top Go down
wuzak

Flightaware Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flightaware   Flightaware Icon_minitimeSun Sep 21, 2014 7:38 pm

I guess they detoured around war zones....

But how was the planned flight 2km shorter than the direct distance?
Back to top Go down
Penn
Admin
Penn

Flightaware Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flightaware   Flightaware Icon_minitimeSun Sep 21, 2014 8:06 pm

That's the logical answer, Wuz. But the Ukraine stuff's been current for quite a while now, therefore one would imagine that, by now, the airlines would have a revised flight plan reflecting the additional distance. shrug
Back to top Go down
wuzak

Flightaware Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flightaware   Flightaware Icon_minitimeSun Sep 21, 2014 10:02 pm

Penn wrote:
That's the logical answer, Wuz. But the Ukraine stuff's been current for quite a while now, therefore one would imagine that, by now, the airlines would have a revised flight plan reflecting the additional distance. shrug

There is also Iraq and the Gaza strip.

Maybe there was some weather they had to avoid.
Back to top Go down
Penn
Admin
Penn

Flightaware Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flightaware   Flightaware Icon_minitimeMon Sep 22, 2014 7:50 pm

Hey Wuz, if I were cleverer, I could figure out where the additional 3,000km went! - http://flightaware.com/live/flight/MAS2/history/20140920/1540Z/WMKK/EGLL/tracklog
Back to top Go down
Blinky McSquinty

Blinky McSquinty

Flightaware Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flightaware   Flightaware Icon_minitimeTue Sep 08, 2015 12:45 am

This isn't Flightaware, but another web site that provides live tracking and displays it. I spent an hour last night tracking a flight from Copenhagen to Frankfurt.

https://planefinder.net/flight
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Flightaware Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flightaware   Flightaware Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Flightaware
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Formula 1 Fanatics :: Aviation general-
Jump to: